|Gain access to a Rusty Lockbox that contains a powerful item.|
|A hidden cache containing an item (80%/20%) will appear in a random location on each stage. Opening the cache consumes this item.|
The Rusted Key is an item in Risk of Rain 2.
Each stage, a Rusty Lockbox spawns for each player holding a Rusted Key. The lockbox's contents are the same as a Large Chest, with an 80% chance to contain an uncommon item and a 20% chance to contain a legendary item. One key is consumed upon opening a lockbox.
- Rusty Lockboxes will spawn even if the Artifact of Sacrifice is enabled.
- Lockboxes will only start spawning the stage after the player picks up the key; it does not modify the current stage when obtained.
- The quantity of lockboxes per stage is only related to the number of players that have keys; the number of keys held by each individual player does not matter.
- For this reason, players who have more keys than the rest should try to unlock lockboxes for other players, so that each player can still hold onto at least 1 key to spawn as many lockboxes as possible.
Order: Key Tracking Number: 12****** Estimated Delivery: 01/21/2056 Shipping Method: Standard Shipping Address: |||||||, Druid Hills, Earth Shipping Details: I don't trust UESC. Not one bit. Their Security Chests? Full of overrides and backdoors- I've got a cousin working in their factory, and they've got all kinds of weird things going on in those chests. I've seen so many of them in auctions - for the lost and unclaimed ones - and you just pay money, and it springs open on the spot. Are you kidding me? Anyways, I'm sending you exactly what I said I would - but it's too important to leave the security up to the UESC. So I'm sending the key to you - and the lockbox to Margaret. Like a two-factor authentication. Let me know when you get this.
- Bug Fixes
- Fixed stray nodes causing lockboxes to spawn midair on the final stage
- Gameplay Changes
- 🌧 Now subtly glows and pulses
- Now grants items at the same rarity as a Large Chest
- Now spawns a Lockbox per player with a Rusted Key
- Now consumes a Rusted Key when a lockbox is opened, and requires a Rusted Key to open
- No longer scales reward chance with the number of Keys in your inventory
Developer Notes: People have always been a bit confused about the behavior of the Rusted Key, so we made it make a bit more sense by actually consuming a key to open. 1 Key = 1 Box. Since the item no longer gives ‘infinite’ items, we can also make it a bit stronger and make the lockbox more noticeable.
- Quality of Life
- Update visuals to match other assets
- Gameplay Changes
- Increase lockbox size by 50% and make slightly shinier