Dio's Best Friend
|Dio's Best Friend|
|Cheat death. Consumed on use.|
|Upon death, this item will be consumed and you will return to life with 3 seconds of invulnerability.|
|Unlock||The Lone Survivor|
|Dio's Best Friend (Consumed)|
|A spent item with no remaining power.|
Dio's Best Friend is a returning item in Risk of Rain 2.
Upon dying, the holder will be revived after a few seconds. This will trigger any on-death effects, such as the ice explosions from Glacial Elites. Upon reviving, the holder gets 3 seconds of invincibility, and the item is consumed.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Works on Engineer's turrets (both variants). Redeploying gives them a new, unused Dio's Best Friend (as long as Engineer's is unused).
- While activating the final cell event in the Void Fields, it is possible for enemies to receive Dio's Best Friend as a Legendary item. Players should be careful if this happens, since each enemy will be revived after death once with invulnerability. They can even be revived from death when the completion of the cell event kills all enemies.
- Revived enemies can drop items if the Artifact of Sacrifice is enabled, making it a good way to farm items in the Void Fields.
- If the Artifact of Metamorphosis is enabled, the player will revive as a new survivor.
Lore[edit | edit source]
Hey Dio, Wow, you have gotten older since the last time I wrote! How old are you now – 10? And so much grumpier, too. I’ve never seen a cat so grumpy. What do you have to be grumpy about? Despite the fact that you are the pickiest eater I know – and love to meow all throughout the night, every night – it still makes me happy to hear you bounding down the stairs every time I come home. I like when I wake up and I see you sleeping across from me. I like when you sit at the dining table, like you’re going to eat with us too. I like how you hit the power button every time you walk across my laptop. I like how shamelessly needy you are. Please live a long life – I’m needy too, and I’d like that a lot. Love, Duncan PS would it kill you to purr for mama every now and then?
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The name Dio is a reference to Duncan Drummond's cat. He is one of the developers of Risk of Rain. This can be found under the "Team Section" on the official site.
- In Risk of Rain 1, the achievement to unlock this item is known as "Sole Survivor". This is a reference to a lyric in the song 'Holy Diver' by Dio, the artist from which Duncan's cat gets its name.
- The logbook for this item, added in the Anniversary Update, is also written from his perspective as a letter to his cat.
- Before the Skills 2.0 update, using a Shrine of Order made all consumed Friends disappear due to not having an item tier. Now, it simply leaves them alone.
- The item's invulnerability period does not protect the player from being instantly killed by a Void Reaver's Nullifier Implosion.